What Happens After I Obtain A Judgment?


A judgment needs to be enforced against the adverse party.

If the judgment is not enforced, it is merely a piece of paper. Your win in Court will just be a pyrrhic victory.

If the adverse party does not volunteer to pay up the judgment sum (i.e. the amount of money that the court awarded to you in the judgment), you will have to take steps to enforce the judgment.

The first step in enforcing your judgment is to send a Letter of Demand asking the adverse party to pay up the judgment sum. If the adverse party does not pay up the judgment sum, you will have to take out applications to enforce the judgment.

The enforcement procedures available to you are as follows:

  • Examination of Judgment Debtor
  • Garnishee Order
  • Writ of Seizure and Sale (Immovable)
  • Writ of Seizure and Sale (Movable)
  • Winding Up Proceedings (against a company)

Your lawyer will be able to advise you on the pros and cons of each of the enforcement procedures and the costs of pursuing each enforcement procedure.

Categories: Judgment Enforcement Examination Of Judgment Debtor Garnishee Order Writ Of Seizure And Sale Winding Up